Housing Associations: The Bell Tolls For Thee

The Bell Curve: A bent lamppost was the final straw for Cllr Paul Bell
Telegraph Hill Councillor Paul Bell has launched a campaign to improve the service provided by local housing associations. He writes:

This is a picture of my building, managed by Gallions/Peabody Housing Association. Last week a delivery driver to the Cooper's Bakery, stupidly reversed into the lamp post. I won't bore you with the details, but this is just one of many issues Gallions/Peabody have failed to sort out in a timely and in this case, health and safety way. Others include failing to sort or communicate about fire prevention measures to failing to give us a recycling store key for 8 months.

My building is not alone. Through my casework as a councillor, I know that many others are fighting to get services that as a tenant, shared owner or leaseholder we all pay for. Housing associations fail to keep residents informed. They lie. They make up stories and finally, when things do get done, they've had to be shamed and contacted many, many times before hand. We should not put up with this.

I am intending to write a report to the Chair of the Housing Select Committee, Cabinet Member for Housing and the Mayor of Lewisham demanding that action is taken to sort out this general housing association incompetence. Will your help? You can do so by filling out the online form HERE, telling me about your experiences and problems. I will also accept best practice too, as there are some - smaller housing associations - that do good work. The survey can be done anonymously. Please note, as Lewisham Homes is not a housing association, I've not included them in this survey.